Friday, November 21, 2008

What 5 things are dear to you?

Hurricane season has been officially over for almost a month. Around our house we look forward to Nov. 1st because we know first hand how devastating a flood can be. I have been hurting for the families who have lost their homes and belongings due to the fires in California. When Hurricane Katrina hit we like many others didn't pack our sentimental belongings because we had just evacuated a few weeks before from a hurricane that later was down graded to a tropical storm. Packing and unpacking takes a lot of work. We just didn't think Katrina it was going to be a big deal. We were very wrong. This got me thinking that if I could do it over again or if I had warning of an natural disaster what would I rush in the house to take with me? (Children, animals, and photo's are of course a given)



Here are the top 5 things that are really important to me that I would rush in to save ...


1. A little card from Lee that I have framed. It came with a dozen
roses on our 1st month wedding anniversary.















2. Lee's mom painted Cooper and Allie an original watercolor piece for their rooms. I'd grab both of them.
















3. Heidi my sister made and had Cooper give me this card on my 1st mother's day. I often look at it and pray for the kind of man Cooper will become.



















4. My wedding dress! My wedding dress was almost destroyed by Hurricane Katrina - mold, mud, and it just smelled terrible. However, a dear friend secretly salvaged it and had it restored for me. Yes - it was a tearful day. I will not make that mistake of leaving it behind again.
5. These 3 crosses that my mom designed the layout - Lee made the frame.
Just reminds me of God's love.













I wonder what 5 things are dear to you?

2 comments:

Carrie Brown said...

Very creative post there girl! I will have to think on that one! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving with Heidi...and an even better day after when Lee gets home! It has been so good to hang out with you lately! Hope your week goes by somewhat fast!!

Rachel said...

What a sweet post! Two of the things that I wish I could grab (and wanted to when we evacuated for Gustav) are pieces of furniture, so it makes it pretty hard and impractical (the van is pretty filled up with kiddos!) to take them along. My dad made our bed for us as a wedding gift, and he made a rocking chair for me when Conner was born. Those items of furniture are so precious to me both because of who made them, and because of the lifetime events that they represent. I would be devastated if something were to ruin them...