Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rough day for who?

Today has had a rough start. Allie's getting some new teeth and like me is not too keen on pain. Last night we were up 4 times. Cooper seemed to get all his teeth in 2 burst and didn't have much trouble or he is just a boy and can sleep through more pain than my Allie-girl.
This morning being extra tired I set Cooper up with breakfast and returned to bed for a few more winks only to hear a splash. Aparently he liked his apple juice so much that he poured himself another glass - on the floor and all overhimself. BATH

Then lots of poop (from the teether) . . . You don't need the details! BATH


So off to the gym . . . working out doesn't top my 50 most pleasureable things to do but, at times like this mindlessly activity on a treadmile is very appealing. Even the gym's SHOWER was wonderful (because the elevator music was great and knew I wouldn't be interrupted with a little one wanting to join me).

3yr old tantrum as we're leaving the gym because he didn't want to leave.

Get home, let the kids play outside while I fix lunch (no mud in sight - good - they'll just play). Don't you know that the dog's water dish was used to make some great mud. A quick wet wipe BATH x's 2.

Then lunch and naps - Whew we made it to 3pm!
As it was finally quiet in our little house and thinking what a busy morning it had been, my mind drifted to the many people in Haiti who were waking up to major chaos, not just spilled apple juice or mud puddes. But real chaos! Little shelter, no church to be comforted by, the stress of depending on others to fill the hunger of your children, worry about the future, worring if it is worth the effort to sheild a child's eyes from the death that lingers all around . . .

It's times like this that I am so deeply convicted that I let myself think that I've had a rough day. A rough day for who? When did I let insignificat circumstances sneak in and allow them to control MY joy.
James 1:2-4 (New Living Trans.) "When trouble comes your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow ... "
Man do I need endurance! But to get it I have to be tested and have great joy!

My prayer is the same for the people in Haiti as it is for myself that we can muster great joy in difficult times and realize that the joy of the Lord is our strength for any trouble. Wouldn't an interview with a Haitian who had a speck of joy speak volumes to us? Would we recognize that this joy may be 'the joy of the Lord' ? Do my kids see 'the joy of the Lord' in me when they are covered in sticky apple juice or mud? I choose to speak volumes to my kids and let them see 'the joy of the Lord' in difficult times for the glory of the Lord.




2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow. Thanks Michelle. I needed that!

Carrie Brown said...

Oh Michelle, what a tough day! How exhausting! I am with you on the Haiti situation..definately helps put this in perspective and our blessings seem to stick out a bit. Love you!!