Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Presents ...

Allie's favorite part about Christmas this year was driving around the neighborhoods looking at the lights.  She would say, "Look Mommy, Look" over and over again.  When Cooper would say, "Can we go home now?"  Allie would protest saying, "More Lights MORE LIGHTS Pleeese"!


Cooper's favorite part about Christmas was playing with our 12 year old train around the Christmas tree and his new ride-on truck.   Ever since we've moved into the house Cooper has been asking to open up the train.  I've probably told him 8 times, we only get out the train at Christmas time.  We also live in an active cul-de-sac with 10 other kids who all bike, scoot, and drive around in their various vehicles, so Cooper was thrilled that he and Allie have a new truck to share. This was basically their only gift from Lee and I.




My favorite part about Christmas is the music, I am so excited to get out the Christmas CD's and so sad to pack them away at the end of the season. My favorite CD this year was by Rick Springfield.  What I really love is hearing the blend of secular and sacred music together so effortlessly in places of business, on the radio and in people's homes.  For me it's the perfect blend of living out Jesus in your life alongside the joys and struggles of living in this modern day America.  I just love that at Christmas time everyone can enjoy the secular tune of "Jingle Bells" and the sacred  "Away in a Manger" no matter what their God view (religious view), in the close proximity of a few minutes.  A life goal for me, to live out my faith effortlessly, spontaneouly yet subtly & noticeable day by day.



Lee's favorite part about Christmas this year was simply that he was home! He has had to work the 7  out of  10 Christmas's  offshore.  This year he was home by 3pm Christmas Eve and went back offshore Jan 7th. YEAH!!!! So ... if he remains on this schedule he will be home for the next 6 years! The song, "I'll Be Home For Christmas" really resonates with us ;)


Of course, We are exceedingly thankful for God's best gift to us, Jesus!  Baby Jesus is a bigger deal than Santa for our family during the holidays.  We don't ignore the idea of Santa but we don't emphasize it either.  We do take an annual photo with Santa and we do hang stockings on the wall (this year we forgot to open up the stockings until the day after Christmas).   When random people would ask, "What is Santa going to bring you for Christmas?" or "Are you excited that Santa will be coming soon?" my kids would look at them strangely.  Then I would explain that we don't emphasize Santa, instead we are excited about celebrating Jesus's birthday and giving each other presents.  Yeah, yeah yeah, I know Jesus may not have been born in December - but all you people who make a big deal out of this don't make a point to celebrate his birth in the summertime - do you! I know that many people think we are crazy for "stealing the joy of Christmas" by not doing Santa or the elf on the shelf or creating reindeer footprints on the lawn.  Let me assure you there is more joy, more excitement, more anticipation about Christmas than you can imagine in the Carlson home.  It's not the plastic, pretend joy!  It's the kind of joy, excitement and anticipation that arrives when you teach a 4yr old and an almost 3yr old that it's not all about them and what they materialistically want. It's about celebrating giving and realizing that God gave us himself.  It's very cool that my kids kind-of get it . . . It's amazing that they can tell you which extended family member gave them which gift.   There's no disappointment about not getting what "I" wanted.  They realize it's not all about them, it's about what we are to each other and to God.
I am amazed at the ability to mold the hearts of my children.  I am humbled and at times a bit burdened by this huge responsibility. However,  I dare you to try to teach this kind of joy, excitement and anticipation next December!

I am also open to criticism, critiques, and suggestions ... I am simply a mom attempting to make a positive imprint on the developing hearts I've been entrusted to mold.

1 comment:

Amber said...

This post will certainly help you keep these precious memories in your heart! (I'll try to get a new post up this weekend, I know that pirates from Halloween is getting VERY OLD!)